Rules & Submission Guidelines
Mayor Byron W. Brown’s Civic Innovation Eco Challenge is designed to encourage developers, designers, and creators to innovate around the theme of clean and green technology by creating a working desktop, mobile, or web app, or other technical solution or device that have the potential to benefit the City of Buffalo and/or its residents. The City of Buffalo and its partners aim to unite developers in the greater WNY region to develop mobile apps or other solutions that address community environmental needs while demonstrating how mobile technologies can lead to next generation job growth and development in the City of Buffalo.
General Challenge Rules
- Be a part of team consisting of 1-5 individuals. Each entrant may only submit one (1) entry.
- An individual team leader must be designated to complete the Submission Form.
- All team members must be United States residents, and one member of each team must either be a resident of Western New York or a student at a Western New York high school, college, or university. For the purposes of this Challenge, Western New York includes: Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming, Allegany, Monroe, and Livingston counties.
- Submit all project materials through the Submission Form by Monday, April 22, 2019 at 11:59PM EST. All submissions must include:
- All team members’ names and contact information
- A written description of the entry
- A summary video (no longer than 3 minutes) of the prototype
- A link to or file of a working desktop, mobile, or web app.
- If an entry is not a software application but a technical device or solution, the description and summary video demonstrating the technology will satisfy this requirement.
- A link to code, if applicable
By submitting a solution, you are agreeing to the Official Rules and Terms of Agreement.
- All submissions will be selected using the Judging Criteria. If selected as a finalist, at least one member of the team must be available to attend the Grand Finale Prize Announcement in the City of Buffalo the afternoon of Wednesday, May 9, 2019.
Side Prize Requirements
Best Use of Esri Platform
Best Use of Open Data Buffalo
- Entry must utilize the City’s open data available at the Open Data Buffalo website (https://data.buffalony.gov).