Rules & Submission Guidelines
Mayor Byron W. Brown’s 3rd Annual Civic Innovation Challenge Powered by AT&T encourages local tech developers and entrepreneurs to partner with City departments to create software solutions the City can leverage to foster innovation and efficiency in the way City services are provided to residents.
This year’s Challenge will provide a stronger opportunity for participants to hear from City departments about what types of solutions would be most helpful. The City will hold a Reverse Pitch Event where participants can hear from City departments about what solutions are needed, and thereafter departments will make themselves available during the duration of the Challenge to provide insight on City operations and feedback on the design and usability of projects.
General Challenge Rules
- Be a part of team consisting of 1-5 individuals.
- An individual team leader must be designated to complete the Submission Form.
- All team members must be persons who are legal U.S. residents (or international students attending a Western New York high school, college, or university), and one member of each team must either be a resident of Western New York or a student at a Western New York high school, college, or university. For the purposes of this Challenge, Western New York includes: Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming, Allegany, Monroe, and Livingston counties.
- Submit all project materials through the Submission Form by Monday, May 18, 2020* at 11:59PM EST. All submissions must include:
- All team members’ names and contact information
- A written description of the entry
- A summary video (no longer than 4 minutes) of the prototype
- A link to or file of a working desktop, mobile, or web app.
- A link to code, if applicable
By submitting a solution, you are agreeing to the Official Rules and Terms of Agreement.
All submissions will be selected using the Judging Criteria. If selected as a finalist, at least one member of the team must be available to attend the Grand Finale Prize Announcement in the City of Buffalo the afternoon of Thursday, June 4, 2020*.
* Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the original submission deadline of May 18th, 2020 for Mayor Byron W. Brown’s 3rd Annual Civic Innovation Challenge Powered by AT&T is extended indefinitely. A new submission deadline will be scheduled when municipal operations normalize at the City of Buffalo. The deadline will be set 53 days following the official recommencement to ensure all participants have a comparable development period from the date of postponement.